Dr. Chetali Samant | Ayurvedalaya Malleshwaram
Shampoos and hair care products promising luxurious and shiny hair; hair treatment ensuring tresses that would give Rapunzel a complex; the new age cosmetics make us live with a false belief that, external therapies are all that we need to treat hair loss! Ayurveda believes that hair reflect the status of our nutrition, metabolism and internal balance.
Hair Loss can be an indicator of silent imbalances like:
- Thyroid imbalance
- Too much or too less testosterone hormone in men
- Too much or too less estrogen hormone in women
- Excess testosterone in women in conditions like PCOS or PCOD
- Poor Digestion
- Poor eating habits
- Extreme Stress
Also, according to Ayurveda, people with Pitta Body Type or Pitta Prakriti are prone to early hair loss and greying.
5 simple Ayurvedic Tips for controlling hair loss:
Simple diet and lifestyle tips from Ayurveda can save the day for all those with Hair loss woes. Follow these 5 simple Ayurvedic Tips for controlling hair loss:
- An Amla a day:Include Amla/Indian-gooseberries in your daily supplements. Amla helps in balancing digestion and metabolism. Being the richest source of vitamin C, it helps in promoting healthy hair growth and controls hair loss.
- Lemon Juice: Lemon juice helps in revitalizing the liver and promotes digestion. Healthy liver helps in mopping up excess hormones like testosterone and helps in controlling hair loss.
- Spice Control: Excess use of spices like cinnamon (Dalchini), star anise, nutmeg (Jaiphal) etc. can cause pitta imbalance, leading to hair loss. Hence, avoiding spices or taking them in strict moderation is extremely important for controlling hair loss.
- Buttermilk: Buttermilk made with 1 part low fat curd/yogurt and 4 parts water is a must if you are battling with hair loss. Buttermilk detoxifies your body and promotes healthy digestion. It also contains loads of nutrition due to vitamin B12, calcium and phosphorus content. Drinking buttermilk, applying buttermilk to scalp and hair is best for managing hair loss!
- Healthy Diet: A balanced diet with the plenty of fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains like Ragi (finger millet), unpolished rice etc. is a must for healthy and gorgeous looking hair!
Also, depending on the internal causes e.g. specific hormonal imbalances like Thyroid, PCOS or Male hormonal imbalances etc., Ayurvedic therapies may be required for bringing them under control and revitalizing your health as a whole.
Always remember that your hair will only be as healthy as your body and mind are!